ANNOUNCEMENT! Active posting at this site has ended (no more picture room). Please continue reading Smith Stories at http://smithstories2nblog.blogspot.com/. You'll be automatically redirected to the new site in "
15
"seconds unless you CLICK HERE!

Friday, October 3, 2008

Society vs. Pregnant Ladies

It is amazing to me how people respond to pregnant women when they are out in the real world! For the longest time, it seems like people are afraid to say something for fear you aren't really pregnant. That's a legitimate concern. Then there is that magical moment when you are more frequently asked when you are due and what you're having. It's fun having people notice. Finally, you reach the point where the majority of people in stores or restaurants at least cast an obvious look at your belly, if not strike up a conversation about pregnancy. Once you hit this point, it's hard to believe it when some people seem so oblivious to your pregnancy! Well, today I had two very different experiences. The first was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. There seemed to be an overabundance of salespeople working the floor and each and every one made a point to say hello to me and ask if I needed anything. I think they were just doing their job for the most part, but everyone looked at my belly. I even had one guy tell me his wife is the Director of Patient Care in the Maternity Ward at Alexandria Hospital (where we're delivering) and I should ask for her and she'd take good care of me. I'm supposed to tell her Bill, her husband, sent me! LOL So, that was a very enjoyable experience. Later I was in line at Walmart at one of the self-checkout thingies. I had my hands full of stuff and really just wanted to put it all down on the conveyor belt. The woman in front of me, however, had left her basket on the belt and wasn't moving it. As she finished paying, I saw her stare at my belly and then just leave! I just think it would have been nice for her to move her basket, in general, let alone for a pregnant lady! Harumph!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if people can't tell that you're pregnant NOW, they must have serious problems :-) Maybe this is your last weekend being prego!