ANNOUNCEMENT! Active posting at this site has ended (no more picture room). Please continue reading Smith Stories at You'll be automatically redirected to the new site in "
"seconds unless you CLICK HERE!

Monday, June 27, 2011

Down Goes Smith (x2)

What Monday was supposed to look like: Quick visit to the library so Jackson could visit the fish tank, check in for his reading program, and check out books for our upcoming trip to Indy.  Lunch with cousin Beth in Old Orchard.  Nap.  Play with Huks.  Dinner.  Mommy and Mimi go to a movie.  The end.
Here's what happened instead: On the way to the library I talked to Erin in the morning, and we decided we'd probably have to cancel our plans for the afternoon since her littlest guy wasn't feeling well :(  Jackson and I had a great time at the library checking out the fish and playing.  They have a pretty great play area with trucks, a play kitchen, and some other small toys.  We were on our way to check out our books when Jackson tripped (he wasn't doing anything silly, just walking) and hit his head on one of the giant stone pillars they have all over.  He immediately started hysterically crying and shaking he hurt so bad.  It was SO sad to see :(  I picked him up and went to the children's desk to get tissues and advice on what to do.  I feel like I have a tendency to overreact when it comes to Jackson and accidents, so I didn't know if I should panic or not.  The librarians were AWESOME!  We got Jackson sitting on a chair so I could look at him, and the librarians brought over an ice pack, tissues, juice, and snacks.  Jackson started to calm down a little here and there, but he was so upset.  He also just sat with his eyes closed, which I thought was based on the fact that he was scared and shy, but we wanted to make sure.  One librarian asked if I wanted them to call the ambulance.  I just didn't know if I needed to.  She said they would rather be safe than sorry, and if it was no big deal, that was fine.  I was really glad she decided to call them so I could feel good with him being checked out.  I did get a look at his head and it looked pretty bad to me--like a puncture wound.  While we were waiting I started to freak out just a little and was SO happy to see the "professionals!"  An ambulance and a fire truck showed up--five guys in all.  They checked him out and took our information, but said he didn't need to get stitches.  They said he just needed ice and Tylenol, so I didn't see any reason to go to the hospital (they offered).   We were still concerned about Jackson not opening his eyes, so we took him outside to see the trucks.  He was NOT happy about sitting in the ambulance for a few minutes to just finish things up.  He did open his eyes though, and he looked fine.  He also sucked down his first Capri Sun.  He had calmed down and the paramedics told me what to look for and what to expect.  The librarians had been so nice and asked if I'd let them know later how he was.  I decided to go back in then to let them know Jackson was ok and to check out my books!  Jackson was SUCH a trooper, and he was really just excited to show Daddy his big boo boo when we got home...  Sigh--boys!  We got home and showed Josh the boo boo.  We cleaned it up a little more and ended up putting a band-aid on it even thought we figured it would come off with some hair.  Jackson really bounced back and has been in a great mood all day!  
Jackson took a three hour nap, and then we enjoyed some family time walking Pax and then riding Jackson's bike to the playground to play before dinner.  I had just gotten him situated with the beginning of his dinner before I went downstairs to get Josh something to drink.  I got to the bottom of the stairs, dropped the glass, jumped out of the way to miss the broken glass, and landed right on some glass slicing my foot in quite a few places :(  I yelled out, and when Josh got to me he immediately told my mom I needed some towels. I figured I was bleeding (which for as much as it hurt should NOT have been a surprise!), and looked down and there was quite a bit of blood on the floor...  I eventually got myself upstairs to sit down and put pressure on my cuts.  Mom cleaned up the mess and Josh checked me out.  We established there was no glass IN the cuts, so we go them to stop bleeding before bandaging them up.  Our evening plans changed from a movie out to dinner and a movie in.  What an emotionally exhausting day!  Josh has been ordered to sit still on the couch for the rest of the evening ;)
Side note: Even thought Jackson had blood pouring down his face after his accident, the white capris I was wearing were blood-free.  They also survived my accident.  However, maybe I should retire them so there are no more accidents???

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh I have had days like that!! Glad to hear everyone is okay. I know that sick feeling you get the first time your wee one REALLY suffers an's the hardest thing in the WORLD to not dissolve into hysterics with them, or faint, or kill anyone who gets in the way of getting your baby medical attention. That's the only time in my life I've ever literally felt dizzy with fear. But we're mamas - so we keep it together and get it taken care of! Go on witcho bad self, mama! And I'm sorry you cut your foot! Sucky place to have an injury :( smooches to both of you :*