ANNOUNCEMENT! Active posting at this site has ended (no more picture room). Please continue reading Smith Stories at http://smithstories2nblog.blogspot.com/. You'll be automatically redirected to the new site in "
15
"seconds unless you CLICK HERE!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

At Peace (and 15-Month Check-up)


Well, we have been struggling with Jackson's sleeping habits for a few weeks now. I have to admit, I was really hoping the doctor was going to have some magic solution when we talked at the well baby check-up. I also know that Josh was REALLY worried about how I would react when the doctor DIDN'T have a magic answer. It was true, she didn't :( But, I am learning things about myself in this whole parenting game. I actually knew these things about myself, but I'm working on functioning in spite of them ;) I get the most frustrated when I don't feel in control. BIG surprise, right? LOL Anyways, I have referred a few times to Josh complimenting me when Jackson was just a wee one about my easy-goingness about getting up multiple times in the middle of the night. That was easy for me! I knew that was coming before we even started trying to get pregnant! It just goes with the territory.

Jackson deciding on his own to stop nursing was really hard for me since he decided, not me. I was a HUGE mess while we were going through that. Josh figured out how to help me before I did. He suggested that I give Jackson a formula bottle (his first one) the next day and use that as a way to catch up and get a little ahead of the game with pumping. I was feeling completely overwhelmed with trying to keep up with my hungry little guy! He ate for such long periods of time and pretty frequently. I didn't know when I was supposed to pump while still having enough milk to feed him when he was hungry! I really liked having a bottle or two in the fridge of my milk to use whenever I wanted. I was so frustrated that I was losing control of my bottles, and our nice little breastfeeding habit. So, taking control of the situation and deciding on MY terms when to give a bottle of formula really helped. It was still quite a mental battle after that, but it was a quick fix.

Similarly, my frustration over the past month or so has come from the fact that Jackson is making up this new schedule on his own. I felt better once we started putting him to bed earlier because it was giving him an opportunity to get some more sleep in his day. He is still determined to wake up for the day at 5:30am, however. Maybe, if I can find some way to own this transition, I can cope a bit better and not be such a mess for my lovely husband... I find that running has been an easy habit to keep up with since it is something I do for myself and I feel quite accomplished when I've run during the day. It calms me down and I know that even if I don't accomplish any other around the house stuff, I did something for me! I'm not quite sure how I'm going to take control of the sleeping situation, but I'm working on it. Of course, Jackson has a full-blown cold so that will make the sleeping thing that much harder...Grrr!!!

The doctor said that it definitely sounds like Jackson is transitioning from two naps to one and that we should focus on getting the naps under control before we worry about altering his nighttime sleep at all. So...that's the plan! I think it's interesting that people talk about pushing the morning nap later and later until it settles in the desired afternoon time slot. I think that does sound better instead of talking about skipping the morning nap. It's such a psychological game!

The doctor also said that we can go ahead and offer Jackson some of whatever we are having for dinner and if he doesn't want it, then he's done. Hmmm... Sounds intriguing, yet scary. She assured me that kiddos can go much longer without eating and drinking than we might think. I think I might give that a whirl. Maybe that will give him the right number of exposures to certain foods that he will eat them! I don't want to, but I can see myself becoming a mom that fixes a separate meal for her picky eater. I so DON'T want to do that! I didn't think there was any way to "reason" with Jackson at his age and get him to change his eating habits. Apparently there is a strategy...we'll give it a shot! I know he'll do fine with the fruit part of our meals, hopefully this will help him expand his main course options!

Jackson's 15 month stats are:
Weight: 23 pounds 15 ounces (40%)
Height: 31.5 inches (60%)
Head circumference: 19.5 inches (96%)--we still get such a kick out of this! LOL

***Picture caption: Jackson's pants are too big today. He was playing in the kitchen, and this is the predicament he got himself in! Hee hee hee!

No comments: