ANNOUNCEMENT! Active posting at this site has ended (no more picture room). Please continue reading Smith Stories at http://smithstories2nblog.blogspot.com/. You'll be automatically redirected to the new site in "
15
"seconds unless you CLICK HERE!

Friday, July 23, 2010

Love My Library

This post has been brewing in my head for a while. I read a post on Sumners in Scotland entitled Tour My Library. It was linked up to Little Page Turners who were hosting Love My Library! The time has long passed to link up my post about our library, but I did want to share a little about our search for a "home" library, along with some of the awesome books we have found!

In November, I wrote a post about checking out different storytimes. I have now realized it's also important to shop for a good library! We had a great library growing up (Skokie Public Library) and it has gotten even better with some renovations and updating. Jackson and I paid it a visit when we were home in the fall and I was so jealous of their large selection of board books! I have also been so jealous of Cassie and Jonah and their wonderful storytime at their library in Kenosha, WI. She has met some great friends and it sounds like there is always a little structured playtime after the stories are read. When we moved to Springfield, I frequented the Pohick Regional Library. It was a short drive from our house and I was able to use the Internet, which was important before ours got hooked up! I did like the library right away--everyone was nice and the children's area was pretty big. Fairfax County is HUGE, therefore the library system is equally large. We actually have several library branches within a reasonable distance. A few weeks ago, I decided to check out the Burke Centre Library. I can't believe we were missing this the whole time! Parking is more convenient, there is a drive-through pick-up window, there is tons of natural light coming in through the neat roof, the board book selection is SO much bigger, and everyone seems even nicer! What a great find! Here are some pictures I took during our last outing:















































I started taking pictures of our stash of books after our last few visits. Here is the first collection we brought home from the Burke Centre Library:

WOW! Said the Owl by Tim Hopgood
Here Come Poppy and Max by Lindsey Gardiner
Kiss Good Night by Amy Hest

Sleepy ABC by Karen Katz
One, Two, Three by Sandra Boynton

How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? by Della Ross Ferreri

I Love you, Good Night by Jon Buller

Oh My, Oh My, Oh Dinosaurs! by Sandra Boynton
House-Mouse Friends by Ellen Jareckie

My Big Rig by Jonathan London

Maisy's Fire Engine by Lucy Cousins

Whose Toes Are Those? by Jabari Asim

Firefighters! Speeding! Spraying! Saving! by Patricia Hubbell

Big Dog and Little Dog Going for a Walk by Dav Pilkey

Max the Minnow by William Boniface


I actually had requested a few of these, but the rest we found on the shelves.

Kiss Good Night is a great bedtime story that everyone will like! Little Sam is working his way through the bedtime routine, but keeps telling his mom that's not ready, and that he's waiting. She finally realizes that he is waiting for his bedtime kisses! The drawings are really cute and just draw you in. This was such a sweet story, and Jackson really seemed to like sitting for a longer book! This gave me the go-ahead to try out some other longer stories...


We previously checked out Good Night, Poppy and Max, and LOVED it! I requested Here Come Poppy and Max and it was great as well! It was not a board book like I had expected, but it worked out just fine since I'm learning Jackson is capable of respecting paper books :) I think the drawings that go with Poppy and Max are my favorite, but the simple stories are just right for little guys :)



The best part of this group were My Big Rig and Firefighters! Speeding! Spraying! Saving! These were great to read aloud with Jackson, but they also drew him in when he was looking for a book to look at independently. He LOVED that we had checked out books about trucks to take home! Both books discuss technical aspects of their respective trucks, but they also are written around a cute, simple story.


For more Feed Me Books Friday, check out this week's guest host: Little Sprout Books!

***I'm not sure the pictures loaded in the right format... You might have to use your imagination to imagine a more organized layout :(

1 comment:

Anne said...

Thanks for linking up at FMBF! If you liked the book about kisses, you should check out Little Sprout Books: Mother, Mother, I Want Another
Your library looks amazing - a drive through? I'm so jealous!